How to Adult this year’s Halloween
Whether you’re hosting your own party or hitting up what YYC has to offer, this Halloween is sure to please
It’s everyone’s favourite time of year, where you can pretend to be someone else for the night and wake up with no regrets at all… ya right!
Whether you’re planning a group costume, adding a spin on the classics or dressing up as a slutty bottle of Sriracha, this Halloween lands on a Saturday, so you don’t even need to feel bad waking up with half your ensemble on the other side of the house or city!
Either your plan is to throw the best Halloween party EVER, or your crew is hitting up the Calgary scene, we have your guide to making the most out of this year’s festivities!
If you’re planning on hosting your own haunted house rager, be sure to include this R-rated spin on everyone’s favourite Halloween treat; the candy corn!
You make me so Corny cocktail
What you’ll need:
- 1 1/2 oz Smirnoff Whipped Cream Vodka
- 3 oz Sour Mix
- 2 oz Pineapple Juice
- 1/2 oz Grenadine
- Whipped cream for topping
What to do:
- Combine Smirnoff Whipped Cream Vodka, Sour Mix and Pineapple Juice in a shaker with ice and shake what your momma gave ya!
- Pour mix into a martini glass of your choice
- Slowly pour Grenadine into mix so it settles at the bottomTop with whip creamThis drink looks good and tastes even better!
Best part is, you can save some whip cream for the after party, if you know what I mean. *wink, wink*
Candy Corn Jello Shots
What you’ll need:
- 1 small box orange-flavoured Jell-O (3 oz)
- 3 envelopes Knox unflavoured gelatin
- 7 oz. sweetened condensed milk (1/2 of a 14 oz. can)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup vanilla or cake vodka (add more if you like strong shots)
- yellow food colouring
- tall shot glasses – preferably plastic
What to do: (it’s all about technique with this one to make sure you get the layers right)
- Make both your first and second layer. Save half of this mixture for the end
- Pour 1 cup of water into a small saucepan and pour 2 packets of the unflavoured gelatine into the water
- Warm the water and gelatine over low heat, stirring occasionally until all the gelatine is dissolved (about 5 minutes)
- Remove pan from the heat and ½ your can of condensed milk to the mixture
- Stir until the ingredients combine
- Add 2/3 cup of vanilla vodka. Cover and set aside half your milk mixture (you’ll add food colouring to it and use it as your last layer)
- Evenly distribute the first half of the mixture throughout your shot glasses. Make sure not to fill them more than 1/3 of the way full. Now refrigerate until firm
- When firm, pour another 1 cup of water into your saucepan, add 1 packet of gelatine to make the middle layer.
- Warm until gelatine dissolves, remove from heat and stir in the box of orange Jell-O until it dissolves as well.
- Add 1/3 cup of vanilla vodka and evenly distribute your orange layer on top of the white layer and refrigerate
- One orange layer is solid, grab the other half of set aside white milk mixture and add in a few drips of yellow food colouring.
- Distribute the yellow later on top of the orange and put it back in the fridge until set
WOAH! These bad boys are delicious and can be very deadly in the alcohol department. This recipe isn’t a quick whip up, so leave yourself time and you and your guests won’t regret it!
And maybe house party’s aren’t for you. Calgary has lots to offer on Halloween weekened from haunted houses to the finest of spooky dinning. ScreamFest is happening right now at the Stampede grounds and is sure to scare the shit out of you. There are multiple ghost tours happening around the city this time of year, especially in Inglewood. If you like to keep it a little classier, be sure to check out Grave Gala at Hotel Arts on Oct. 28. This event supports the Calgary Opera, be sure to dress up and dance the night away with Dj Thunder. Various club crawls will be happening all Halloween weekend, and the crew at The Reflector can attest that it is well worth your time!