Podcasts to help ease university experience
For new students, post-secondary education can be challenging and bring about a variety of new experiences.
Many first-year students can easily get overwhelmed and lost in the new world of university.
We talked to staff and students around the school to gain their insight on how to survive university.
There are some tips and tricks that we have acquired over the past few years and would like to share with you students.
From organizing your time and managing a dating life, we have created podcasts discussing some handy tips to help make your school life easier.
Here are the topics covered:
1. How to survive your first year.
We discuss basic tips on ways to make your first step into post-secondary.[audio:http://thereflector.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Episode1HowtoSurvive1stYear.mp3|titles=Episode1HowtoSurvive1stYear]
2. How to get involved in your school. There are many clubs and programs that students may not be aware of that can really benefit them.[audio:http://thereflector.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Episode-2-How-to-Get-Involved.mp3|titles=Episode 2 – How to Get Involved]
3. How to date in university. We go around Mount Royal University to get students’ perspectives and advice about relationships and school.[audio:http://thereflector.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Episode-3-dating-final.mp3|titles=Episode 3 – dating final]
4. The benefits of attending a small school. Mount Royal University consists of approximately 12,000 students, which is small compared to major universities.[audio:http://thereflector.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Episode-4-benefitsfinal.mp3|titles=Episode 4 benefitsfinal]
5. Services provided by your school. You pay a lot of money for your education, it is important to take advantage of the helpful programs it offers.[audio:http://thereflector.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Episode-5-School-Services.mp3|titles=Episode 5 – School Services]
7. How we survived this long.[audio:http://thereflector.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Episode-6-bad-grade-final.mp3|titles=Episode 6 – bad grade final]
After attending university for at least three years, we have some personal ideas and tips for surviving school.
— Submitted by Anna Majowski, Dara DeFreitas and Courtney Urbani