Google+ boosts student photographers
Worldwide amateur photography contest only open to students
Jonathan Vern McGill
Google+ announced its first worldwide amateur photography contest for students on Nov. 10.
The contest gives new meaning to “go big or go home,” with prizes including high-end mobile phones, an exclusive photography trip with a professional photography coach, and a feature in a well-known art gallery.
Eligibility is limited to students over 18 years old and in some form of post-secondary, and Google has received some c
cism that the contest should be open to all, not just students.
However, California photographer Thomas Hawk defended the restrictions in a response on his Google+ feed.
“I think it’s fine to restrict it to university students,” Hawk said. “It gives them more of a chance. They typically will ha
ve less money and less ability to promote their work, are earlier in a potential photography career and could use the exposure more.
“If you opened it up to everyone, I think many of the prizes would end up being won by already established big names.”
More than 3.4 billion photos have reportedly been uploaded to the platform in the first 100 days.
“Google+ is only a few months old, but the photography community is already thriving on it,” Felten said.
The contest’s enticing grand prize entails the winning photograph being featured in the “Out Of Focus” exhibition at London’s esteemed Saatchi Gallery for two months.
Even for those who do not win prizes, there is the chance that hundreds or thousands of viewers will see their submitted photos, a prize itself for those new to the field.
The photography contest is open until the end of January, and winners will be chosen in February.