10 ways to entertain yourself on campus
by Claire Miglionico
1. Join a club. There are tons of clubs on campus that may tickle your fancy. Take the Art History Society Club for example. You meet up with like-minded people at school and organize trips to art galleries.
2. Or, create your own club through MRU’s Students’ Association. You can apply to get $100 to start your club, you get meeting spaces at school, discounts on poster printing and even lockers for storage. One student even went as far as creating a Zombie Survival Club. The opportunity for creativity here is limitless. (See Page 8 for our clubs coverage.)
3. Take an acting course (THEA 1112) or a creative writing course (ENGL 1217). Spice up that schedule of yours with crafty or musically-inclined courses (Jazz Theory and Composition 1 MUSC 1137. Previous skill in an instrument is required)! It’ll make your college experience much more lively!
4. Attend a play. Every semester, the theatre program at Mount Royal puts together excellent plays. Students get discounts on tickets. This February, Mount Royal presents Hay Fever, a comedy following the Bliss family in the 1920s and the outrageous results of their weekend guests.
5. Visit the Liberty Lounge. Although it might be obvious, the school bar is a great way to meet people. Student night is every Tuesday. Jazz students make the occasional noon hour appearance where jazz can be enjoyed for free. On special occasions, attend Lib parties where dressing up is involved because who doesn’t like dressing up in tight and bright clothing or ’70s bellbottoms?
6. Buy used books at the library’s annual used book sale and pick out a book you would have never thought of reading. Romance novels for 50 cents anyone? You know it!
7. Go for a soak in the recreation centre’s hot tub between classes or before a late study session. Best way to de-stress and catch up with friends, after the Lib, at least.
8. Another way to de-stress is getting a massage on campus. Massage therapists are made available for worn-out students for $30! Treat yourself to a massage and make it your own little spa day.
9. Spend the semester abroad through the school’s international exchange program or through courses like Romance Studies where you may find yourself going on a three-week trip across Europe. Austria, Japan and even Australia are places where you may find yourself next year, and students volunteer in Ghana every year.
10. Take a recreation class you wouldn’t think of taking. Hottie Body or Zumba all sound pretty intriguing and may be the workout or the good laugh you and your friends are looking for. Hottie Body is one of those over-the-top group fitness that will keep you looking good and Zumba is dance-based fitness that incorporates Latin rhythms and easy-to-follow moves.